NEOA Strategic Plan
Click here to download the strategic plan for 2021-2026 (PDF)
The NEOA Strategic Plan is divided into five sections:
Goal 1: Strengthen and support state associations
- 1.1 Create regional structures to enhance coordination with states
- Support and attend annual state conferences.
- Support state level professional development activities, event planning and resource-sharing and communicate through NEOA resources i.e. website, Board meetings, online platforms, etc.
- Provide support for the state initiative grant process and the COE grant proposal process.
- Provide outreach materials and welcome packets to states for newly funded programs.
- Develop strategies to support states' ability to meet their individual goals and objectives.
- Assess state needs from NEOA via an annual survey.
- Help to coordinate information to state liaisons with asynchronous terms on NEOA Board.
- 1.2 Dedicate appropriate resources to strengthen and support state associations
- Strategically plan for a dedicated advocacy budget for state outreach to elected members of Congress.
- Strategically plan for a dedicated state initiative budget that addresses state needs and regional and state strategic plans.
- Coordinate information sharing for COE and NEOA (Clearinghouse, website) and policy-making organizations such as the New England Council.
- Consult/coordinate with Technology, Access and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Chairs to make sure specific audiences are considered.
- Coordinate technology needs of professional development activities in respective states as needed.
- Develop and provide Board trainings for state leaders; and, host a retreat annually.
- 1.3 Facilitate and support attendance of members and alumni at state and national advocacy events.
- Hold strategic advocacy events at the regional conference and throughout the year.
- Support states in scheduling meetings with elected officials, representatives and Congressional staff and provide Policy Seminar training for Board members and others, annually.
- Coordinate the publication of regional, state and national TRIO/GEAR UP events to elected legislative officials and staff in the respective states.
Goal 2: Provide Professional Learning Opportunities for Membership
- 2.1 Identify and assess professional learning needs of membership
- Summarize and share evaluations from annual conference with the Board.
- Collect, analyze and share information from program round tables with the Board.
- Survey members by program annually using accessible online tools.
- 2.2 Develop comprehensive professional development activities to meet member needs
- Establish vision for professional development.
- Consult and coordinate with Technology and DEI chairs to make sure specific audiences are considered.
- Provide outreach to states during the grant-writing period.
- 2.3 Provide professional development opportunities that are responsive to the needs of Educational Opportunity Programs (EOP)
- Implement professional development activities including annual conference, professional development days, and leadership institute.
- Coordinate with individuals willing to chair professional development events.
- Provide training to specific audiences such as veteran staff, new directors, and new members.
- 2.4 Maximize technology as a vehicle for information gathering and dissemination
- Send information to listserv and post on website and social media pages.
- Utilize technology to deliver professional development activities.
- Explore and expand technology to include webinars, podcasts, reading groups, etc.
- Work with Technology Committee to coordinate technology needs of professional development activities as needed.
- 2.5 Distribute membership materials to EOP and new hires
- Generate and distribute a list of all new programs in the region at conclusion of each program competition.
- Communicate with all new directors, new staff and new programs to provide information about NEOA and its professional development activities.
Goal 3: Foster Leadership within NEOA
- 3.1 Define and publicize various leadership opportunities within NEOA
- Provide information on leadership opportunities and benefits at each professional development day and state conference.
- Discuss opportunities for leadership as part of soliciting nominations for officer positions.
- Promote leadership positions in newsletters and list serve.
- Engage members in committee work.
- Engage in conversations and programing promoting diversity, equity and inclusion.
- 3.2 Encourage board members to identify, recruit and mentor individuals for Board leadership roles
- Provide shadowing opportunities for each Board position.
- Provide leadership workshops at NEOA annual and state conferences.
- Promote leadership opportunities at Conference Newcomer's Reception.
- Provide a training/ team building/getting to know you session with Board members.
- 3.3 Encourage the involvement of Arnold Mitchem Leadership Institute (AMLI) alumni with NEOA
- Create and maintain a database of AMLI alumni.
- Inform and encourage AMLI participants and alumni to make a commitment to serve.
- 3.4 Engage or re-engage veteran staff
- Provide monthly Director Meetings for each program.
- Maintain an NEOA directory including veteran staff identification.
- Engage veteran staff in recruitment for state and regional Board positions.
- 3.5 Develop and promote leadership opportunities for state and regional board positions
- Promote COE Emerging Leaders Institute as a leadership opportunity.
- Promote the AMLI Leadership Institute at the NEOA and state conferences.
- Conduct the NEOA AMLI alternating years.
- Reach out to non-members with information and opportunities to engage.
- Provide orientation as well as training and support for all Board positions.
Goal 4: Build and strengthen NEOA’s Financial & Organizational Resources