NEOA Strategic Plan
Click here to download the strategic plan for 2016-2021 (PDF)
The NEOA Strategic Plan is divided into five sections:
Goal 1: Strengthen and support state associations
- 1.1 Create regional structures to enhance coordination with states
- Support state level professional development activities and communicate through NEOA resources i.e. website, Board meetings, etc.
- Continue state initiative grant process and COE grant proposal process.
- Provide outreach to states during the grant-writing period.
- Provide outreach to newly funded programs.
- Develop strategies to strengthen states' ability to meet their individual goals and objectives.
- Assess state needs via survey.
- Identify a goal with each state to help with a specific need.
- 1.2 Dedicate appropriate resources to strengthen and support state associations
- Strategically plan for a dedicated advocacy budget for outreach to newly elected members of Congress.
- Strategically plan for a dedicated state initiative budget.
- Coordinate information sharing for COE and NEOA (Clearinghouse, website).
Goal 2: Provide Professional Learning Opportunities for Membership
- 2.1 Identify and assess professional learning needs of membership (i.e. annual survey)
- Summarize evaluations from annual conference.
- Collect information at program round tables.
- Survey members by program annually using accessible online tools.
- Expand Professional Development Committee to include a point person for each program to disseminate and collect information.
- 2.2 Develop comprehensive professional development activities to meet member needs
- Establish vision for professional development.
- Use assessment information from 2.1 to plan.
- Consult/coordinate with technology and access chair to make sure specific audiences are considered.
- Provide State leadership professional development and mentoring.
- 2.3 Provide professional development opportunities that are responsive to the needs of Educational Opportunity Personnel (EOP)
- Implement professional development activities including annual conference, professional development days, and leadership institute.
- Coordinate with individuals willing to chair professional development days.
- Coordinate technology needs of professional development activities as needed.
- Provide new directors training at regional conference.
- 2.4 Maximize technology as a vehicle for information gathering and dissemination
- Send information to listserv and post on website.
- Explore and expand technology to include webinars, podcasts, reading groups, etc.
- 2.5 Distribute membership materials to EOP and new hires
- Generate a list of all new programs in the region at conclusion of each program competition.
- Call all new directors, new staff and new programs to provide information about NEOA and its professional development activities.
Goal 3: Foster Leadership within NEOA
- 3.1 Define and publicize various leadership opportunities within NEOA
- Provide information on leadership opportunities and benefits at each professional development day and state conference.
- Discuss opportunities for leadership as part of soliciting nominations for officer positions.
- Promote leadership positions in newsletters and online.
- Engage new members in committee work.
- 3.2 Encourage board members to identify, recruit and mentor individuals for Board leadership roles
- Provide shadowing opportunities for each position.
- Provide leadership workshops at NEOA annual and state conferences.
- Promote leadership opportunities at newcomer's reception, i.e. regional and state associations.
- 3.3 Encourage the involvement of Arnold Mitchem Leadership Institute (AMLI) alumni with NEOA
- Maintain a list and listserv of AMLI alumni.
- Establish expectations of AMLI alumni, e.g. reach out to new EOP professionals, make a committment to serve.
- 3.4 Provide leadership opportunities to staff with five plus years in EOP with the goal of reengagement in NEOA
- Identify veteran staff.
- Maintain an NEOA directory including veteran staff identification.
- Develop workshops for veteran staff.
- Develop speaking opportunities for veteran staff.
- Engage veteran staff in recruitment for state and regional board positions.
- 3.5 Develop and promote leadership opportunities for state and regional board positions
- Promote COE Leadership Summit as leadership opportunity.
- Promote the Leadership Institute at the NEOA and state conferences.
- Conduct the NEOA AMLI alternating years.
- Engage Leadership Institute participants in NEOA Board committees.
- Provide orientation as well as training and support for all Board positions.
Goal 4: Build and strengthen NEOA’s Financial & Organizational Resources
- 4.1 Create and maintain a reserve equal to one-half of annual expenses
- Establish annual budget reflecting goals and priorities.
- Analyze annual budget and calculate amount of reserve needed.
- Monitor, reconcile and report fiscal status on a monthly basis.
- Conduct monetary transactions, i.e. opening certificates of deposit and other forms of investment.
- Investigate investment options for reserve funds.
- 4.2 Create an annual development plan to support NEOA activities each year
- Establish annual development goal.
- Represent Association in public arena to potential funders to identify and cultivate contacts.
- Generate a pool of supporters for the Development Plan.
- Identify state leader in each state to support Development Chair.
- 4.3 Develop and implement a marketing plan for NEOA
- Review and update existing marketing materials and media to support development plan.
- Identify target audiences.
- Develop customized messages to reach target audiences.
- Evaluate plan effectiveness and results.
- Prepare, file and submit state and federal forms by due dates.
Goal # 5: Strengthen NEOA's capacity to advocate on behalf of EOP students
- 5.1 Review existing committee structures and revise bylaws if necessary to ensure strong advocacy efforts
- Develop advocacy goals.
- Charge committees to address advocacy goals.
- Establish a plan for outreach to new members of Congress.
- 5.2 Provide information and training to promote connection between state and national advocacy issues
- States identify advocacy needs and write State Initiative grant applications to address those needs.
- Provide advocacy training on pertinent political issues.
- Provide advocacy training prior to Policy Seminar for state leaders.
- 5.3 Expand TRIO/GEAR UP alumni presence in NEOA to assist advocacy efforts
- Secure alumni presence at conference and Policy Seminar.
- Engage alumni through alumni database and social media.
- Provide advocacy training prior to Policy Seminar for state leaders.
- 5.4 Facilitate and support attendance of members and alumni at state and national advocacy events
- Hold strategic political events at the regional conference and throughout the year.
- Schedule meetings with elected officials, representatives and Congressional staff.
- Publicize regional, state and national TRIO/GEAR UP events to elected legislative officials and staff.