NEOA GOES GREEN
NEOA recognizes the importance of conserving energy usage and minimizing the consumption of natural resources toward reducing the potential for global climate change. We are therefore committed to taking steps in our association initiatives to minimize the consumption of natural resources and energy when economically viable. Because we are a non-profit association, we will need to depend on potential partners to help us meet our sustainable goals, while continuing to be the premiere trainer for educational opportunity professionals in New England. Streamlined non-profit processes reduce material waste from operations and increase the efficiency of meeting our mission.
In April of 2010 the board of directors passed the following initiatives. Within the next two years NEOA will:
- Implement accessible online professional development opportunities through webinars to reduce carbon emissions.
- Assure that at least 90% of all types of paper purchased by the board has at least 30% post consumer recycled content (Using paper from certified sustainable sources).
- Encourage board members to use 'Century Gothic' font for reports. According to the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay, it uses 30% less ink than Arial font when printed.
- Recycle at least 90% of discarded board meeting paper.
- Open ridesharing accounts, like ZipRide, for members that facilitate carpooling collaboration.
- When financially possible, contract with conference and board meeting locations that have incorporated responsible sustainable practices.
- Implement board protocols for turning off of lights, computers, copiers, printers, heating and air conditioning units, and other equipment when not in use. Reminders can be put on meeting agendas.
- As board supplies, including folders, brochures, letterhead, and business cards wear out, replace with recyclable products.
- When possible, have board members and presenters use personal or on-site projectors (i.e., transparency and LCD) to share materials at trainings and meetings.
- Have emails from NEOA include “Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.” in signature line.
- At meetings, encourage the use of municipal water supplies, rather than bottled water, and use reusable mugs or water bottles, and discourage meeting and conference organizers to purchase bottled water.
- President will appoint an existing board member to be a “Green Czar” to monitor sustainability practices.
NEOA thanks the following sustainability experts for their assistance:
Energy Efficiency and Distributed Resources
Tamara Kennedy-Hill, CMP
Kwabena Kyei-Aboagye, B.Sc., M.C.P., J.D.
US Environmental Protection Agency
Leigh Stringer, LEED® AP
Vice President, ADVANCE Strategies
Author, The Green Workplace